Advertising and PR Course
Creative Documentary Filmmaking
Student Intellectual Property Law Policy
All students at Sri Aurobindo Centre for Arts and Communication (SACAC) are requested to carefully read and adhere to the following policy pertaining to intellectual property:
I. The primary purpose of any ‘Student work’ i.e. any work which has been conceived/ created/made/prepared/ produced by the students of SACAC as a part of their class coursework/assignments/ projects or as individual projects irrespective of the fact whether the same was made on the premises of SACAC or elsewhere, whether with or without use of equipment available with SACAC or whether the same was made with or without extra funds, is only educational.
II. A ‘Student work’ so conceived and created may have some commercial value. However, such commercial or market value of the ‘Student work’ is the secondary purpose of the work.
III. The paramount objective of SACAC is to protect the interest of all the students as well as SACAC as a whole and therefore each ‘Student work’ would be subject to certain restrictions till the student(s) have completed his/ her coursework.
IV. The restrictions, which are being imposed, are solely to ensure that the educational experience of any student is not hindered. If students were to license, distribute, market or in any way exploit the ‘Student work’ they have created before the said work has served its educational purpose for which it was created, it would not only deprive the other students of working on the said work but would also obstruct the internal and external faculty at SACAC in giving proper guidance and supervision.
V. SACAC’s interest in the ‘Student work’ is limited only till the completion of the student(s) coursework and completion of the educational experience associated with such work until its usefulness as an educational tool is realized by SACAC. It is further clarified that this would not mean that the work be completed as there may be a scenario where the ‘Student work’ is incomplete but may have satisfied the educational purpose for which it was created.
VI. SACAC has no right, title or interest in the marketing or financial income derived from such ‘Student work’ once the student(s) has completed his/her coursework in all respects. The understanding and assessment of the `Student work’ being complete in all respects is to be done by SACAC authorities and is binding on all.
Therefore, all ‘Student works’ are subject to the following ownership conditions: 1. The student is the owner of the work that she/he has created.
2. All income/benefit from dissemination and distribution of any such ‘Student work’ after the realization of its educational purpose by SACAC shall belong to the student(s) who created the work.
3. The students who have worked on the ‘Student work’ are to be jointly and severally responsible for it. The onus is on them to ensure that it is an original work, which has not violated copyright or any other intellectual property rights of any other person/company. The students also undertake and ensure that they have formally obtained all permissions/approvals for use of any copyrighted material that is included in the ‘Student work’. The Students are also responsible to ensure that the ‘Student work’ is not inappropriate, defamatory, libelous or in contravention to the right of privacy or any other law.
4. The student(s) agree that any mentorship/help/counsel given by the faculty member(s) of SACAC in relation to the ‘Student work’ or in discharge of their normal course duties shall not be construed as: (a) creating any right in favour of the SACAC faculty member(s) in the said ‘Student work’ (b) hold SACAC or any of its faculty member(s) as the co-owner (c) creating any obligation or liability on SACAC or any of its faculty member(s).
5. Each student agrees to indemnify and hold SACAC harmless from and against any and all third party claims, actions or proceedings of any kind and from any and all damages, liabilities, costs, and expenses relating to or arising due to the breach of this policy by the student.
6. The student(s) who have created the ‘Student work’ undertake not to exploit the work in any manner including but not limited to sell, transfer, assign, license, distribute, market etc. except for entering such work into film festivals or such forums till each of the student(s) who have created or contributed to the ‘Student work’ has completed in all respects their coursework at SACAC. The Director Ms. Daljeet Wadhwa, of SACAC may use sole discretionary powers to waive these restrictions for any reasons considered appropriate by her. The students(s) also commit that that they will make the ‘Student work’ accessible to other students/ SACAC faculty or staff, with reference to their educational experience and coursework at SACAC.
7. The student(s) agrees to provide SACAC prints or other copies of such ‘Student work’ whenever requested by SACAC for any use by SACAC.
8. The student(s) agrees to grant SACAC the right to reproduce, display, or communicate to the public prints or other copies of such ‘Student work’ on any mode or medium, including but not limited to promotional activities of SACAC. Such right to reproduce would be without payment of any royalty or consideration of any kind to the student(s). SACAC undertakes not to license such prints or copies.
9. The student(s) also agrees not make any contract or commitment regarding the ‘Student work’ contrary to this policy or in derogation of the rights granted to the SACAC under this policy. The student(s) further agree to sign any document reasonably requested by the SACAC to confirm or enforce any of the rights granted to SACAC under this policy.
10. It is at the discretion of SACAC whether or not to put its name on any ‘Student work’.